At Rely we’re committed to our purpose; To empower ethical action in the pursuit of creating positive workspaces, supporting employers & vulnerable individuals by giving a voice to all.
To achieve this, we are looking for remarkable people, who act ethically and with integrity. People who care passionately about creating positive workplaces, building innovative and sustainable solutions, and delivering quality software that makes a significant positive impact over the long-term.
We are led by our values. We believe work should be fun, inspiring and in harmony with the rest of your life.
If you are looking to work with a team of achievement-focused, progressive, inclusive, and ethical people, who make a material difference to hundreds of workplaces, then this may be the role for you.
What is Rely?
Rely helps companies build better workplaces. We do this by helping individuals report culture and conduct related issues ranging from small matters to large whistleblowing disclosures. Rely then guides the recipient of the report facilitating a fair and procedurally correct investigation. Finally, we help companies deliver on their governance objectives by facilitating oversight and insights via reporting and analytics.
We’re seeking a Lead Engineer who possesses deep experience with AWS, full stack Node and Typescript engineering. This role is suited for a team player who is ready to help wherever a need presents.
You’ll be stepping into a small team of mostly senior engineers who are already performing at a high level in a fast-paced environment. You’re influence will help the team see around corners, unblock challenging technical problems, and offer a pragmatic perspective that considers the business’ goals.
This is an individual contributor role who works alongside our engineering manager. You’ll be writing a lot of code but beyond that you’ll be leading by example in activities like creating design documents and architectural specs. As a wholistic thinker you’ll be thinking deeply about the product, our customers and the team working on the software.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing guidance and technical contributions across all areas of the codebase
- Co-designing, reviewing, and implementing testing strategies.
- You’ll be able to identify and implement impactful engineering metrics, to help drive and measure change.
- Be accountable for the delivery of key initiatives. This includes setting goals, providing visibility of progress, and identifying opportunities and roadblocks.
- Communicating complex technical matters in a clear, understandable way to non-technical people.
- Mentoring engineers across the spectrum from junior to senior. Their growth and performance, as well as the engineering team culture, will drive and excite you.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Multiple years’ experience in a variety of senior or leadership positions.
- You’ll be comfortable leading challenging technical discussions.
- Experience with:
- developing and maintaining AWS Serverless infrastructure such as Lambda, API Gateway, EC2, RDS and other related technologies.
- infrastructure as code concepts using tools such as CDK and CloudFormation.
- CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability, security best practices, logging and monitoring tools.
- or familiarity with Typescript, Node, GraphQL, Apollo, Jest, Cypress and React.
- The ability and desire to contribute to all manner of development including backend and frontend engineering.
- A demonstrated experience practicing and advocating for Engineering best practices.
- You’ll be passionate about the product and user experience, understanding that the technology is in service of the value we’re creating for our customers.
- Adept at making pragmatic decisions based on business requirements, risk assessments and imperfect information.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- An advocate and constant example for best practice engineering standards.
Nice to haves, but not required:
- Familiarity with:
- Github actions, Next.js, Prisma.
- deployment orchestration and build tools such as NX, Babel and Esbuild.
- A relevant AWS Certification
- Co-curricular mentoring and industry involvement.
- SaaS experience operating in a start-up or scale-up.
More than a job
We don’t want your move to Rely to simply be another step on the ladder. We want the move to be additive to your whole life.
Work should be meaningful and enjoyable, but it shouldn’t be everything. We support our team members by understanding everyone has unique requirements. We are committed to the mental health and wellbeing of our people. To facilitate this, we provide free of charge access to third parties for a range of confidential mental, health, family, career and financial services.
We also provide:
- A well-being budget valued at $500.
- Public holiday substitutions to ensure you’re celebrating the holidays you believe in, not purely the ones on the calendar.
- An annual continued learning budget, with 2 hours a week reserved for something new.
- Cover the costs of relevant certifications.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Gender neutral paid parental leave.
Leading by Example
Actions speak louder than words which is why we:
- Became the first Whistleblowing service firm globally to become a Certified B Corporation. We’ve been awarded as a B-Corp World Honouree in the categories of ‘Best for Overall’ and ‘Best for Customers’ in multiple years.
- Pursue other important social initiatives such as our involvement as an official charity partner of the Alannah and Madeline Foundation. Using a portion of each client contract, Rely funds programs for children to learn what proper ethical and positive behaviour is and how to act in groups. The programs aim to prepare tomorrow’s leaders to have the courage to speak up and be ethical champions.
Rely is seeing high growth in a rapidly changing regulatory environment. More and more businesses are realising the risks they face and the importance to comply with new regulations. As such, they are turning to Rely to offer them the tools and training they need.
To fulfil our goals and remain a global leader, we need a diverse and passionate team. We value and respect people’s differences and realise that diversity makes us stronger and better able to serve our customers.